Ceviche, quite possibly the most beloved fish dish worldwide. This wonderful dish has been enjoyed by Latin American coastal towns for generations. It seems every beach town from Mexico to Tierra del Fuego has their own variant on this marvelously versatile ocean treat.
You can prepare ceviche with virtually anything that comes from the sea. Think of shrimps, squid, shellfish, etc. For this recipe we will focus on the traditional “white fish ceviche”.
Please keep in mind that the preparation time will be less than 30 minute, but you will need to let it marinate for quite a few hours before the ceviche is ready to eat.
I. Ceviche Ingredients List
- 500 grams of white fish filets
- 20 large lemons
- 100 grams of cilantro
- 1 large onion
- 5 tomatoes
II. Which fish should I use to make ceviche?
Ceviche doesn’t really demand a specific type of fish, but if you are new to making ceviche, you might want to start with one of the following:
- Sea bass
III. Preparing the fish for the ceviche
- What you want to start with is fish filets, so if you need to clean your fish, then this is your first step. Make sure you remove all the organs, skin, head, tail, and bones.
- Dice all the filets and place them inside a large plastic container (with a lid).
- Squeeze the juice from all the lemons and pour into the container with the diced fish.
- Dice the tomatoes and onions and add them to the container.
- Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper
- This is the key part, make sure all the fish is covered with lemmon, and make sure you spread the tomatoes, onions and cilantro evenly throughout the container.
- Once everything is level, close the container and place it inside your refrigerator.
- The ceviche will marinate overnight, and you can enjoy your ceviche the day after.
IV. Serving and enjoying your ceviche
- Ceviche is served cold in a bowl.
- It’s usually accompanied with toasted garlic bread or crackers.
- And that’s it, enjoy!
- You might also be interested in:
Best 61 hook up destinations around the world
Top 54 jobs for NON-Digital Nomads
Pros & Cons of “Living Apart Together” LAT
Top 9 things I love about living alone
15 things a man should never say on a first date